Wednesday, August 24, 2016

If Money Grew on Trees, I Would Still be Broke!

Raising twins is hard.  You can take all the preparation classes and read all of the books that you want, but nothing will prepare you for the struggle that you will encounter once you bring those sweet angels home from the hospital.
Everyone tells you that the babies will eat every 3 hours and it will be nice and easy and they will latch on and nurse without any issues, because nursing is the best option.  Also, if you give your baby formula then they will likely go to jail by the age of 18.  Not to mention their IQ will be seriously low because the nutrition that they get from you is obviously the only thing that contributes to their brain development.  Yea, well you will agree with them, until you come home with two crying babies who will not latch on to you.  Even if they did, you are not a dairy cow and cannot produce enough milk to feed two babies 8 or more times a day.
I did not want to believe the doctor when he came in and said, "I hope you are planning to supplement with some formula, because feeding two is extremely difficult".  No way, not me!  Not a college athlete, who managed to work and go to school while pregnant with twins (even when I could no longer fit in the desk).  I thought I had already been through the hardest part.  Well, contrary to what I thought would happen, these sweet little babies did not want to nurse.
Okay, plan B, go buy some formula.  $16 per can, you cannot be serious!  And I will use at least one can a day!  Oh boy, I did not budget for this, and I am also not working!  A full year worth of formula, sometimes topping out at 2 cans per day.  It was enough to put us out of our 2 bedroom city apartment, and into a 1 bedroom apartment 2 hours away from what I called "home".
Well that covers formula, but did I mention the diapers?  Those are the real kicker.  At least formula is done at 1 year, diapers, however go on 2 years and more realistically 3 years.
So thank goodness we had hand-me-down clothes from cousins and friends!  Without the help from others, our ship would have sunk long ago.  But here we are, 2 1/2 years old and still going strong.  The struggle is still there, but we are surviving and enjoying life!  In my opinion, that is all that matters!  Besides, if money grew on trees, I would still be broke!

No comments:

Post a Comment