Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Korean Beef and John Wayne, with a Side of Tears

"What's for dinner?"  The age-old question that every mother dreads!  Ugh, well let me see what I can throw together while the girls are climbing all over me and trying to touch the hot stove.  Now, I could always order pizza, but since I have a stomach ulcer trying to heal that is not the best option.  Yes, a stomach ulcer, that is what having twins does to you!  That along with copious amounts of caffeine and endless stress!  So, again Pinterest saves the day!  Korean Beef sounds easy enough, oh and it is a budget meal!  Perfect!
Meat and rice, what more could my family ask for right?  Off to the store I go, luckily without the girls! (big thanks to their "koko" for watching them)  We will skip over the boring details of going to Food Lion and spending my life savings on a weeks worth of groceries, even after using coupons.  So here we are, dinner time.  The girls got some KFC to-go cups because they are impatient and, what kid doesn't love chicken and potato wedges for dinner?  And surprise, Daddy is home early!  Ah, I can finally have a break and the girls can climb all over someone else for the next few hours.
I brown the ground beef with some garlic and sesame oil, and make the rice, then finish off the recipe by creating a sauce with fresh ginger and chopping some green onions.  My husband takes a taste, and he loves it!  This recipe is a keeper!  The girls are dying to have some rice because they saw me making it, and they love that almost as much as french fries.  I make them a bowl and try to explain to them that it is steaming hot.  They do not care, and here come the tears.  I am trying to teach and protect you from burning those sweet little mouths.  Why do you hate me?  I desperately look at daddy in hopes that he has a better idea to keep the girls content while their second dinner cools down.  Potato chips!  Yes, that is the answer!  All is well again in the Blaisdell household, and the girls settle down with daddy and a movie.  
John Wayne, yep that is what my husband puts on to watch with the girls.  Surprisingly they are completely engaged in the movie.  Must be the horses, or maybe John Wayne reminds them a little bit of their daddy!  Either way, the kids are quiet and content, and that makes me happy.

3 comments: